Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Steroid use

I am an athletic 22 year old girl. I love to lift weights and was working to get a pro card in physique competitions. I tried performance enahncements for a while (steroids) but a very very small amount. It's been 6 to 7 months I've been completely off but now suffer minimal side effects but my primary Doctor refuses to get blood work done or talk about the matter with me. I have a slightly enlarged clitorous and it goes down after sex.. Slight voice deepening. Nobody notices but it bothers me. What should I do? It makes me feel insecure and my sex drive is also very high. I can't find any information on what steps I should take or how to cope with this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Cassie,
It sounds like you may have excessive testosterone/androgens that might be masculinizing your body, resulting in lower voice, muscle growth, etc. Both women and men have circulating androgens, but excessive amounts may cause this, from abnormalities of the adrenal or pituitary glands.  Also, some people are born with genetic (chromosomal) abnormalities, which can "turn on" production of hormones inappropriately.  

You need a doctor who is responsive to your needs. If your doctor won't address this, than find another. You may find a family medicine, internal medicine provider, and if your insurance will allow, an endocrinologist. Excessive androgens can forever change the pitch of your voice, so time is of the essence in having laboratory tests to determine what may be causing these changes.  

Good luck, and please keep in touch to let me know what has eventually been determined.

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons