Sexually Transmitted Diseases/dry ulcer on penis no sex for 1 year

Question
dry "ulcer"?
dry "ulcer"?  

not white when dry
not white when dry  
3 weeks ago I found a dry , painless, ulcer-like thing, around 8mm long and 3mm wide with ever so slightly raised red borders. I mentioned ulcer-like because it only turns white when its wet and almost unnoticeable when dry, except for the red borders. I showed it to my family doctor and she gave me Foskina (Mupirocin Betamethasone Dipropionate). I also tested negative for syphilis blood test. I haven't had sex for more than a year (14 months), so I was wondering what could this be? I have been masturbating frequently, reusing a handkerchief to wipe my semen off, i mentioned that cause the day after, a lump appeared and flaked off and reappeared as an "ulcer" after a week. Please Help me, i think my doctor seems inexperienced with these kinds of situations.

Answer
Hello Tom,
Combination antibiotic-steroid creams/ointments are never a good idea, in my opinion, as one is for skin infections, and one is a strong anti-inflammatory/steroid.  Betamethasone is RARELY needed or should be used on the skin of the penis, as long term use may cause chronic and irreversible changes in the skin. Any why an antibiotic, if an infection is not present?

It would be helpful to know if you have any other skin rashes or conditions, or take any medications for anything else. Any itchiness of this particular bump, or any bug bites?  The bottom line, is that it probably is NOT related to an STD.

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar