Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Is this just friction and irritation?

Question
Angry Vag 1
Angry Vag 1  

Angry Vag two
Angry Vag two  
Hello!

I have an itchy rash and a bit of tearing on my vulva,  above my clitoris. It isn't overtly painful, unless I spread my Labia majora for a closer look. I have been scratching it though. I had sex with my (monogamous) boyfriend two days ago, but it didn't hurt -though he did have a harder time finding my clitoris, and due to the placement of the rash makes me think that is what caused this. We've both been tested for all STDs; and specifically asked for a herpes blood test asl well- both came back negative. I don't have any type of abnormal vaginal discharge, so it's not a yeast infection either.

I don't know if this will be helpful, but I'm not on any hormonal birth control, but have an IUD. I'm 24 and am generally a healthy person.

Any insight to what this could be and how to treat it would be very helpful!

Answer
Hello Justine,
Itchy vulvar rashes such as what you have look like yeast or herpes; it is possible that rarer infections from fungi, viruses or bacteria may cause this.  Herpes is not likely, as it is usually very painful, and I don't see any blisters.  

Even if preliminary tests were negative for yeast, it is considered an opportunistic infection and may develop following the scratches on the skin. I would try a topical vaginal cream such as miconazole, terconazole or something similar.  Clotrimazole is readily available but is the least effective of antifungal medications, even though it is commonly available as an over-the-counter preparation.  

It does NOT look like a classic STD though!

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar