Sexually Transmitted Diseases/hpv? with image

QUESTION: Hello Doctor mark . I 'm leticia and I am 21 years old. Today in the morning I put vinegar just out of curiosity , because I heard that one could detect HPV , I have no swelling or anything abnormal , I was just curious and turned it, they were whitened a little all my labia minora could be HPV ? or it could be that angry ? Today just finished my period , it could be that I'm for caring without being something wrong?
for the moment I do not have health insurance and it is difficult to afford me , I could guide please as possible I 'll go to the doctor.
thank you very much for taking the time to answer
Sorry,in the last question not attach the image

ANSWER: Hello Leticia,
One of the important things about vinegar as a diagnostic tool for detecting HPV, is that HPV lesions usually turn white in comparison with the uninfected skin. When everything seems to lighten up a bit and nothing really stands out, THAT is a normal reaction and has no clinical significance. Your vulva looks absolutely normal. Nothing to worry about!

Good luck!

lips red
lips red  
QUESTION: Hello again Dr. Mark

after putting vinegar, my vulva am very red and I could burning urination, irritation could be alone ? I can get you something?

Hello Again, Leticia,
Another possible side effect of using vinegar in an already inflamed vagina and vulva, is burning! This is not uncommon if you happen to have a vaginal yeast infection, even in the absence of the typical white, clumpy discharge.  Treat the vaginal yeast infection with miconazole vaginal cream or something else that is effective, and stop worrying.

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons