Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Hungary

My penis
My penis  
Dear Mark!

In advance, sorry for my English, this is not my native language.

I found these things in my penis about 3 weeks ago, and they still look like the same. I thought of 2 things: I had unprotected anal sex with a trusted partner, so I don't think I got this from him, If not the inside was not clear enough (we did the usual preparement to make it clear, but that can happen though). I also had a partner who may have hurted my penis with teeth, can these be because of tooth injury?

There are 3 of them close to each other, look like a popped blister and they are fully painless.

Thank you for your answer in advance! I was looking around the internet and STD pictures to find something similar, but I couldn't find anything like this. I thought of sifillis but then there should be only one spot, right?

Hello David,
Little blemishes may occur on the skin of the penis, as well as elsewhere on your skin.  That is what it looks like to me in the photo. It does NOT look like herpes, syphilis, warts, molluscum, or other STDs. You didn't mention whether you have any other types of skin conditions (such as eczema, atopic dermatitis), or health conditions such as allergies.  It's also not clear whether you have a foreskin or are circumcised, although this does not affect my conclusion above. Yes, it is possible that a sharp tooth may have scratched the skin, and it is still healing. As you have skin stretching erections many times at day and night, and this can sometimes affect healing time of scratches on the skin (erections may pull the healing skin apart; sometimes using a moisturizing ointment may help prevent the skin from getting repeatedly injured).  It may take as long as 3 months for the blemish to disappear, as it takes that long for the skin cells to regrow.  (Skin healing usually begins from the bottom of the skin to the top, and it usually takes 3 months for all skin to "turn over".)

It may be good to have routine STD and HIV testing, and if you have multiple partners, you should consider PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) which is very excellent prevention against HIV (greater than 99% effective against becoming HIV infected for a person taking this pill (Truvada/tenofovir) daily!).

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons