Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Red rash on penis head

Question
Under side
Under side  

On top
On top  
Hi Mark
I am 47 and married for over 24 years. My wife and I generally have sex atleast once a day so life has been good so far
About 2 months ago I noticed a red rash starting to appear and it is has slowly gotten worse
Around the same time we started using baby oil as a lubricant and soon found this can be painful as well so we swapped over to proper gel (vigel)
My wife first thought it may be stress related dry skin and so we put some moisturiser on the area to no real success
Our second step of personal diagnosis treatment was to use a condom and some anti fungul cream (clotrimazole) but neither seems to work as the area gets red after sex and isn't going away
We have now reduced sex to once a week and even then it is worrying me that I may be passing on something even though we are both very faithful to each other
Any help would be much appreciated
Our next step is a doctors visit if we can't get it under control
Thanks Willy

Answer
Hello Willy,
You didn't mention if you or your wife have any skin conditions (such as skin fungi such as yeast; eczema; seborrhea, psoriasis), or are using any medications or creams (other than the ones already mentioned). Silicone is a pretty safe and neural lubricant (unless once develops an allergy to it, which is uncommon). Baby oil is not a recommended lubricant, and water soluble lubricants frequently dry out. I'm not certain what is in vigel. You may have yeast infection that is resistant to clotrimazole, which is an older antifungal that has lost it's effectiveness. You are uncircumcised, and foreskins and uncirc'd penises are very susceptible to friction induced injuries, and fungi are opportunistic and can cause rashes such as what you have.

What I would do is try a different and stronger over-the-counter topical antifungal-- terbinefine (Lamisil), twice daily for a week.

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar