Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Round White Area on Shaft

Question
Shaft
Shaft  

Up Close
Up Close  
Thanks for providing this service.  About 3 weeks ago, I believe that I ended up being bitten by spiders while working outside.  The next day I had at least 3 bites that began to swell - leg, underwear line and also noticed one on my groin and then the shaft of my penis was swollen.  I put some hydrocortisone on the area and the swelling went down. There was a area that looked like the others and it responded well to the hydrocortisone

Now, it appears that I have a small 3-5 mm area that is firm and whitish.  The area is not deep (not attached to the underneath).  No pain.  No scab. No drainage.  When I press hard, i can get it to disappear but just for a short while.  Should I let this continue or to seek attention?

Answer
Hello Tom,
The whitish area appears to be an area that has constricted blood vessels, causing the surrounding tissue to blanche and look white. Avoid the hydrocortisone, which also constricts blood vessels. The cause may have been the bug bite. Sometimes, enzymes in the spider or bug bites have such an effect on the skin, and may cause skin discolorations or sometimes ulcerations.  If the condition worsens, see the care of a specialist.  It is not related to an STD.

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar