Venezuela/R.I.F.

Question
I was a Venezuela native. We moved permanently to the United States in 1989. I've been told that in order to do any legal transaction, you need your cedula and your R.I.F. I know what a cedula is, but what is a RIF? Can I hire a lawyer to get that on my behalf?

Answer
Hi Sandra,

The RIF is your Tax ID. Yes, you should be able to hire anyone, not just a lawyer to get it for you, since it is not the regular process you will have to pay to get it done. You need a cedula and a local address, then you can register online http://contribuyente.seniat.gob.ve/rifcontribuyente/logincontribuyente.do and obtain the RIF ID within 30 days of the online registration.

Margie

Venezuela

Margie