Vines/trumphet honeysuckle vine

pam wrote at 2013-02-03 22:28:19
Bye the way my 4 trumpet honeysuckle plants are in full sun. But you said to prune when they are done flowering but they flower all summer. I've been told to cut them back a third but don't remember when to do this. Early spring? I know you don't prune in the fall. I'm trying to get them to grow over our arbor but they seem to die off before they get very far. The one that is looking bad last year is an original vine we planted 3 or 4 springs ago. I think this is the one i need to cut back, I'm afraid I'll lose it. Thanks so much for your help.

Kathleen Franklin

I can answer all kinds of questions about vines that thrive in most U.S. soils/climates, though I am more knowledgeable about Zones 4-8. I am a huge fan of vines (even the sort of "Look out, Martha, here it comes again" varieties), especially wisteria, climbing hydrangea, Carolina jessamine, and (invasive though it is) English Ivy. I grow them all, and would love to share what I've learned with you!

I am a certified, active Master Gardener in Maryland (Montgomery County) and have six+ years experience working at a local garden nursery. I've been gardening for more than 20 years and have done consulting work for many residential homeowners on all aspects of gardening and garden design.

Maryland Master Gardeners Friends of Brookside Gardens Nature Conservancy

I have authored numerous nature and gardening-related articles for publications ranging from Audubon Naturalist News to Washington Gardener magazine.

I have taken courses in Integrated Pest Management, perennials, shrubs, and vines.