Vines/Best pot for Grape Vine

QUESTION: Good moring !
Could you give me some advised- I live in 8B zone - Houston Texas - I have a new grape vine ( Black seedless- Concord) and there are 4 small spots " available" for i could plant her - and all are next to  the back yard fence:Below here is the preferable location in my opinion in order numberic:
1/ Between the back fence (PVC ) and the new Asian Hosui Pear  (5 feet tall )-The soil there had been mixed ( clay soit + potting soil) when I planted the Pear 2 months ago- Full sun / 1 -1.5 foof from the fence - or from the fence to the Pear tree approximate about less than 4 feet !
2/ Between the New Established :Agapathus and Hydrangea / wooden side fence- Full sun !  - I have this in my 2nd because the hydrangea - she loves water but the grape is not !
3/ Around with my green vegettable / wooden side  fence- this is my 3rd  because it's only have moring sun- shading afternnoon and my green stuffs love water -
4/ Last option - where the last one  died ! shading and wooden side fence.

Please help me to choose the best one !
Thanks for your time & have a wonderful day.

ANSWER: Hi Jalyn -
In my humble opinion, the best spot for your grape vine will be either #1 or #2. The plant definitely needs full sun - at least 6 hours of direct sun each day.  Choose whichever spot will provide the most room.  Air circulation is very important in growing grape vines, in order to reduce the incidence of fungus and mold.  I think Houston is pretty humid, so air circulation is even more important in your case...
Good luck!

QUESTION: Thanks !
Should I plant her now - or wait still fall or next spring-
She 's in 5 gallons pot-

The best time for planting grapevines is early spring. It's getting a bit late - and fall is not a great time for planting the vines unless you can be sure that your soil won't freeze over the winter.  When soil freezes, it tends to heave the roots out of the ground (it can do this with other new plantings, too). One final note - remember, you won't get a real grape harvest for about 3 years.
If you can keep the vine going in the pot over the winter, I'd wait until next March/April to plant it.  A 5-gallon pot is a nice size.

Kathleen Franklin

I can answer all kinds of questions about vines that thrive in most U.S. soils/climates, though I am more knowledgeable about Zones 4-8. I am a huge fan of vines (even the sort of "Look out, Martha, here it comes again" varieties), especially wisteria, climbing hydrangea, Carolina jessamine, and (invasive though it is) English Ivy. I grow them all, and would love to share what I've learned with you!

I am a certified, active Master Gardener in Maryland (Montgomery County) and have six+ years experience working at a local garden nursery. I've been gardening for more than 20 years and have done consulting work for many residential homeowners on all aspects of gardening and garden design.

Maryland Master Gardeners Friends of Brookside Gardens Nature Conservancy

I have authored numerous nature and gardening-related articles for publications ranging from Audubon Naturalist News to Washington Gardener magazine.

I have taken courses in Integrated Pest Management, perennials, shrubs, and vines.