Vines/ivy vines

Question
HI KATHLEEN

I HAVE IVY VINES IN MY BACKYARD AND I WANT THEM DEAD. WHAT CAN I PUT ON THEM TO KILL THEM FOR GOOD?
         DOLORES TOWNSEND

Answer
Good morning, Ms. Townsend.
I totally understand your wish to get rid of that ivy! I am going to assume that you have English ivy, which is a non-native, highly invasive vine that is really difficult to eradicate. Short of pulling it all out by the roots (which is arduous), the only real method for getting rid of ivy is to apply an herbicide such as Bayer's Round-Up or Ortho's Brush/Ivy B-Gone directly to the leaves and stems. Some folks say "organic" treatments such as scalding hot water and/or vinegar work, but I say that's horse-hockey.
If your ivy is growing among or near plants that you want to keep, make sure you don't get any of the herbicide on those plants; spray applications can go awry on a windy day, for example. Pull the ivy away from desirable plants before spraying. The herbicide will take several days to work its way through the plant down towards the root system, and you may need to reapply it several times this season, particularly if you apply it before a heavy rain.
I am afraid that you might never TOTALLY get rid of English ivy -- believe me, I have tried to get rid of mine, but the best I've been able to do is keep it in check, pulling it up as I see it trying to come back.
Good luck!

Vines

Kathleen Franklin