Vines/Morning glory

Morning glory (I think) is trying to overtake my large shrubs (10 feet high and 20 feet across). Have used a chemical the last six years from my nursery with a power sprayer to kill the vine w/o killing the shrub. Worked great. Must have run out of chemical. Nursery does not carry it any longer. Amazon has a product, but can't sell it to people in Maryland. What do you suggest? Thanks.

Hi Ronn -
I like the spelling of your name; I've only seen it spelled that way once before (one of my co-workers is also a "Ronn").
ANYWAY. Morning glory - if that's what it is - is a glorious vine but not when it's trying to move in on shrubs. Aside from achieving what I feel is a miracle (power-spraying the vine without harming the adjacent/underlying shrub), you are right to feel bereft that your local nursery can't sell the magic chemical. That said, you have some options. You could try a difference chemical - but who knows if that will perform aforesaid miracle by killing the vine while sparing the shrub? You could try an organic (but still toxic-to-the-vine) approach by applying a mixture of very hot water and white vinegar to the vine's roots. Or you could start digging - tackling every spot where the MG vine emerges. Or a combination of Options 2 and 3 - that might be your best bet. One other option: order the magic chemical from Amazon and have it shipped to a friend in a different state and then go pick it up or have him/her ship it to you.... Which is probably some kind of illegal, but I dunno.
I realize I haven't been very helpful here - apologies for that. Feel free to send me some pics and/or the name of the chemical and perhaps I can research a substitute for you. Good luck!

Kathleen Franklin

I can answer all kinds of questions about vines that thrive in most U.S. soils/climates, though I am more knowledgeable about Zones 4-8. I am a huge fan of vines (even the sort of "Look out, Martha, here it comes again" varieties), especially wisteria, climbing hydrangea, Carolina jessamine, and (invasive though it is) English Ivy. I grow them all, and would love to share what I've learned with you!

I am a certified, active Master Gardener in Maryland (Montgomery County) and have six+ years experience working at a local garden nursery. I've been gardening for more than 20 years and have done consulting work for many residential homeowners on all aspects of gardening and garden design.

Maryland Master Gardeners Friends of Brookside Gardens Nature Conservancy

I have authored numerous nature and gardening-related articles for publications ranging from Audubon Naturalist News to Washington Gardener magazine.

I have taken courses in Integrated Pest Management, perennials, shrubs, and vines.