Vintage Cars/1960 austin healey 3000

i have restored this car and am at the last few details of getting it running,i put a pertronix pos, grnd. this car along with a pos. grnd. fuel pump. then discoverd the car is there any way to convert the dist.@ fuel pump from pos. grnd to neg.grnd?

Oh dear!

I hope you didn't switch it on, in which case you would have fried the Pertronix and possibly the fuel pump. The fuel pump might be switchable IF it has two terminals (i.e. it's not grounded through its case). But you can't convert the Pertronix. If they've never been installed or connected, your supplier might take them back. Ask them.

I think it might be easiest to convert the car to positive ground, if you have no other electronics, e.g. radio. You have to reverse the battery in the trunk, switch the coil wires and repolarize the generator. Carefully read this description of going the pos->neg route, and reverse the wiring instructions to do the neg -> pos conversion:

There are alternatives on the web: Google "healey positive negative conversion". These seem the clearest, though a bit long-winded.

BTW, if you do go back to positive ground (the car was certainly positive originally), you might be interested in this description that I wrote for Moss Motoring a while ago, which gives you a neg-ground cigarette lighter (for GPS, phone, etc) in a pos-ground car.

Good luck!

Vintage Cars

Jo Jesty

Most detailed about Austin Healeys but also MGs (A,B,C), old Minis, old Volvos: they share SU carbs, Lucas (Prince of Darkness!) ignition, Girling brakes & shocks. Some things shared with TRs too, but I don't know so much about them. Can advise the semi-neophyte on the basics of keeping things running, especially tuning ignition and carbs; but no rebuilding engines or transmissions; no frame or bodywork. General date range: late 50s to 70s (not so good about cars with emission controls, electronics). No valuation experience at all.

Middling: I am not an auto mechanic. (Should we stop right here?) Grew up In England and a workshop. I have had a 3-carb 60/61 Healey for ca. 8 years, largely looked after myself. New fuel system and carbs, resuscitated ignition, brakes (discs and drum). Great driver's car. Major jobs done by others: king pins, front frame cancer excision; caliper rebuild; etc. Organizations.: Austin Healey Sports & Touring Car Club (PA) Publications: > 70, irrelevant Education/Credentials: PhD, irrelevant Awards and Honors: irrelevant Languages: Je peux essayer francais...

Re. cars, none--see experience.