Vintage Cars/Crankshaft pulley replacement

Dear Mr. Ron, thank you for volunteering on this site!

I realize your expertise is mostly with cars built before '85, and my question is a bit outside of your category, but out of desperation and with some temerity, I'd like to ask you the following question:   

My daughter has a Mercedes 2002 SLK 230 with about 100K on it.     Recently she had some problem steering it and was told by a mechanic (not at the Mercedes dealer but these people work predominanatly on Mercedes)  the belt was brokenů
After they replaced the belt on the console, they called her to tell her  they discovered the crankshaft pulley was also broken.    She was informed  it had to be replaced and that it would cost about $1,000.00 (part:$717 and labor $220).     Does that sound OK to you?!  

Thank you very much in advance!

Pablo Durissimo

Hello Pablo,
first make sure he is not talking about belt tensioners , they are 50$ and less and usually the cause of a belt issue
however I beleive the crankshaft pulley is one large piece on the front of this engine and if so the price on the parts for this job can run from 600 and on up.  the labor sounds reasonable .  If they are kind enough to give you the part number or more info post back
I would do one thing - get the VIN, call a mercedes dealer and make sure there are no recalls on the car for crankshat pulleys.  The 99 -2001 Eclass has a recall on the belt tensioner, ( not the same part or car) but it is always good to ask

good luck

Vintage Cars

I can answer questions on W114/ W115 /W(R)107/W123/W126 Mercedes models 1967-1985. I have rebuilt many of these cars and have problem solved many issues. I have access to much of the technical data and have deailed instructions on fixing the most common issues. Vintage US 1950-1989 and other foreign cars as well If you are going to ask me about car value, please provide ample information on service history, rust issues, and current "needs". Pictures are helpful. Disclaimer on value - I can only give you data on what the market is bringing, and may not be what you want to hear!

Maintain, restore vintage Mercedes (W114/W115 /W107/W126)

Ronnies Diesel Shack

Vintage Forum Member on many List serves

College Graduate. Self proclaimed and taught Mercedes shade tree mechanic.