Vintage Cars/Triumph carbs.

I know you said MG but lets see how you are on Triumphs. I have a 68 GT6 with Stromberg 150 carbs. I want to put stromberg 175 carbs on but do not know if they will fit. Any idea?

Hi Kelly

You're right, I'm guessing! It's likely that you are a little under-carbureted, yes, but not by much; and it won't be easy. Here are several questions you need to ask...

1) Will the larger bodies fit under the hood and inside the wheel-well? I.e. How tight is the fit on your 1-1/2's now?

2) Are the walls of the intake-manifold pipes thick enough for a machine shop to safely bore out 1/8 inch all around (to make the intake diameter 1-3/4)? Especially immediately behind the flange? You--or, better, a good machine shop--must measure that very carefully with inside (curved) calipers to the point where the pipe splits. Rely on the machine shop to decide whether to go ahead.

3) What's the distance between the stud holes on the larger carbs? The new flanges must mate up somehow with the existing manifold flange. The easiest way to find this out would be to order the different gaskets from Moss or Victoria: (i) a pair for your present 150CDs, and (ii) a pair for a TR6/250, which used 175CDs. Compare the holes.

4) I don't see a problem on air cleaners. Just drill and enlarge the old ones as necessary, or get new ones to fit.

If you don't have a club expert or another online source, you might contact Burlen Fuel Systems in Salisbury, England; or Apple Hydraulics in Calverton, Long Island, NY. Burlen actually make these carbs (and may make a conversion kit); and Apple knows carbs very well. They're both on the web.

Good luck!

Vintage Cars

Jo Jesty

Most detailed about Austin Healeys but also MGs (A,B,C), old Minis, old Volvos: they share SU carbs, Lucas (Prince of Darkness!) ignition, Girling brakes & shocks. Some things shared with TRs too, but I don't know so much about them. Can advise the semi-neophyte on the basics of keeping things running, especially tuning ignition and carbs; but no rebuilding engines or transmissions; no frame or bodywork. General date range: late 50s to 70s (not so good about cars with emission controls, electronics). No valuation experience at all.

Middling: I am not an auto mechanic. (Should we stop right here?) Grew up In England and a workshop. I have had a 3-carb 60/61 Healey for ca. 8 years, largely looked after myself. New fuel system and carbs, resuscitated ignition, brakes (discs and drum). Great driver's car. Major jobs done by others: king pins, front frame cancer excision; caliper rebuild; etc. Organizations.: Austin Healey Sports & Touring Car Club (PA) Publications: > 70, irrelevant Education/Credentials: PhD, irrelevant Awards and Honors: irrelevant Languages: Je peux essayer francais...

Re. cars, none--see experience.