Violets, African/African Violets

Hello, thank you for taking my question. I need some advice regarding my African violets as all of a sudden they (not all)have got these small white sticky balls (like cotton balls) appearing on about three of my plants.  They are on the window ledge in the kitchen and get the morning sun till about 11.30 12 noon only.

What is it and how can I get rid of it or do I have to throw them away.

Many thanks,

Sydney Australia

This could be several things including white flies, spider mites or a fungal infection. The best thing I can advise you to do is take a q-tip and dip it in rubbing alcohol, and dab the affected areas. DO NOT let it get on the whole plant, but rather dab the affected parts. This has been known to kill insect infestations. Of course, do it twice daily for a few days. You can always use apple cider vinegar if you don't want to use alcohol. It is milder. If it doesn't get better you could possibly have a fungal infection, and these are not treatable. You have to discard the plant. Sorry for the bad news, so I hope it is not a fungus.
I also want to apologize for taking so long to answer. I have a teenager in the house, and he downloaded some things that put a virus into our computer! That's a headache I didn't need right now. But, I am very sorry you were waiting so long.
I hope this works for you.

Violets, African

PLEASE LIMIT QUESTIONS TO AFRICAN VIOLETS. I will accept any question or problem relating to African Violets and their care. If I do not know the answer, I will research it for you. PLEASE NOTE: I DO NOT ANSWER QUESTIONS FROM FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SAT NIGHT AS THIS IS THE JEWISH SABBATH.

I learned about African Violets at the knee of my grandmother, who was born in 1895. I have been raising violets for nearly 30 years, and have helped friends and relatives with growing as well

At the knee of my grandmother.