Violin/E.R. Pfretzschner violin

Jason wrote at 2015-03-10 04:11:35
the market is starting to support a higher value to these instruments now that there is a prevalence of cheap Chinese parts.  even factory produced true german violins are starting to come up in value,  I have a Otto Klier from the late 1990's that a violin shop offered to buy for 700.00.   since they would resell it I would probably add about 200.00 to their offer for what its actually worth.    the E.R. is not far behind,  has a little thicker wood ,   but those german violins sound very nice even if they are production student models,  if you put em up against some of todays models Chinese, eastmans ect ect,  the german one sounds better.  really sweet tone if you install a quality bridge and some dominant strings with a wittner tail piece.

Angelo Eftimeo

Questions on Violins (and Violas, Cellos, and Bows) concerning care, value (roughly), and other information on string instruments and bows.

Own a Violin shop in the Phoenix, AZ metro area, worked for many years with a Brazilian bow manufacturing company selling Pernambuco bows, Cello player, extensive contacts with most String shops around the US.

VSA (Violin Society of America)

String Newsletter: "How to pick out the correct Bow", 2007

BS from Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY. Taught HS in AZ from 1981-1990. Extensive training in bow identification, care, and maintenance.