Violin/Stradivarius Label on Violin

John Thornton Violins wrote at 2012-03-09 21:12:09
I would most certainly disagree with your comments. The fact that the violin is/was in Poland would itself be an indication that the label and the violin stands a much better chance of being authentic, than not. The King of Poland, in 1715, ordered at least 15 violins from Antonio Stradivari, sending Volumier the director of the Royal Orchestra to bring them back. The whereabouts of only two (or three) of these are known today. Not all Stradivaris (or del Gesus) have been acccounted for, contrary to the myth/rumour started by the French violoncellist Jean Gerardy during an interview conducted by a journalist representing a publication known back then as, "The Continental".  

David Lashof wrote at 2015-06-18 20:17:40
While John is well versed in the history, he is missing the point. Millions of these trade Strad and Guarneri instruments exist while the potential for a single previously unknown real one from a possible few hundred is like hitting an Apple on top of a pole with a boomerang while blindfolded. No previously unknown Strad or Guarneri has been unearthed in decades.

Violin

Bill Alpert