Violin/opinions on a old violin

Justin wrote at 2015-12-28 04:53:47
To at that the Chinese build better anything better than the Germans let alone Violins is practically blasphemy. The Germams coined the phrase; "made in Germany" while the Chinese coined the phrase; "made in China." I have rarely heard such a ridiculous opinion on a subject.

David Lashof - violin All Expert wrote at 2016-08-03 16:42:33
Justin, Mr Potter is correct. Just being made in Germany does not make it better, just as being made in China doesn't make it bad. Your statement is nothing more than an uneducated racist statement. Violins must be evaluated on their own merits. A lot of instruments, such as a Ficker, are made with inferior woods and workmanship produced mostly by machine, vs. many of the better Chinese instruments and even lower grade ones that are made by hand. Being handmade itself does not make the Chinese instruments better, but often the German made instruments were left heavy in wood and unless a lot of extra work is done on them, they will and cannot sound as good as some of the better Chinese instruments.

L. Dalton Potter

I have been involved in the violin trade for over 30 years. I am currently the President and CEO of The Potter Violin Company in Bethesda, MD. I can offer clients initial opinions on the value, authenticity and quality of almost all bowed string instruments (violins, violas, cellos & basses) based on good quality digital photos. I would decline to give any financial evaluations without examining instruments in person. Please do not ask me to offer an opinion without providng me photos; I cannot help you unless you give me something more to go on than just telling me what the label says.

Experience in Music Business: Charlie Byrd's Music House; 1977 - 1980. Senior violin technician: Violin House of Weaver; 1980 - 1996. President: The Potter Violin Company; 1996 - Present

String Industry Council (Founding Member & current President), Violin Society of America, American String Teachers Association (currently; National Board Member), Suzuki Association of America, ASTA MD/DC - Board Member (currently; Industry Representative), Guild of American Luthiers, American Society of Appraisers.

Kitchen Table Violin Repairs; an Emergency Manual for String Players and Teachers(author). Amercan String Teacher Magazine, Journal of the Suzuki Association of the Americas, Strings Magazine, Journal of Guild American Luthierie

Berklee College of Music

The Chester J. Petranek (2003) award for "Outstanding Community Service in enrichment of the musical life of the Washington metropolitan area." Traugott Rohner Leadership in the Music Industry Award: Dalton Potter; The Potter Violin Company, 2008 ASTA sponsorship recognition awards - too numerous to list.