Violin/1918 F.A. Sennet Violin

Bob Jarosz wrote at 2011-03-28 23:50:23
Hi, I just read your post and I can fill you in on the maker of the Sennet violin.  His name was Frank Sennet, born in Prussia in 1863 immigrated to Chicago with his parents in 1867, in hie adult life he became an inventor (invented a press for making violin sides) and violin, mandolin maker.  Moved to Dallas, TX in 1903 and worked out of his home making and repairing violins.  He hae 2 children, Walter, who also became a violin instructor.  In about 1926 he moved to LA to take a position as violin professor with the California Conservatory of Music in LA.  His parents Frank and Helen and sister Eleanore and her family also relocated to LA with him.  Eleanore was also an accomplished pianist.  Franks Sennet died in 1931 and Walter in 1941.  Frank Sennet  finished 450 violins The labels on violins made by him were handwritten, the violins are easily indentified by the rounded edges. They usually sell for about $800 to $1500 and are highly prized by local fiddlers around Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas. He is listed in a book titled THE BOOK OF AMERICAN VIOLINMAKERS, by Mr. Wenberg, (Source: Violinist Paul Woodard and violin dealer Al Stancel of Indianapolis, IN., 1999).  Franks Sennet died in 1931 and Walter in 1941.  Frank Sennet was my GR Granduncle.  If you would like me to send you additional info please contact me at

Bob Jarosz

J.G Young wrote at 2011-04-09 00:08:11
I recently came across a violin in my Mother in laws house, with F.A Sennett 1924 #455. It would seem to me that he made more than 450 based on that.

jim wrote at 2013-03-05 14:17:37
F.A. Sennet was a maker,who wound up in Dallas,Texas.His violins are sought after and play very beautifully. He produced them about early 1900's up to about 1930's.His son eventually became a maker also.One recently sold for $5500.00.I had mine appraised for$4,000 to $4,500.00 2 yrs ago by Tarisos.

L. Dalton Potter

I have been involved in the violin trade for over 30 years. I am currently the President and CEO of The Potter Violin Company in Bethesda, MD. I can offer clients initial opinions on the value, authenticity and quality of almost all bowed string instruments (violins, violas, cellos & basses) based on good quality digital photos. I would decline to give any financial evaluations without examining instruments in person. Please do not ask me to offer an opinion without providng me photos; I cannot help you unless you give me something more to go on than just telling me what the label says.

Experience in Music Business: Charlie Byrd's Music House; 1977 - 1980. Senior violin technician: Violin House of Weaver; 1980 - 1996. President: The Potter Violin Company; 1996 - Present

String Industry Council (Founding Member & current President), Violin Society of America, American String Teachers Association (currently; National Board Member), Suzuki Association of America, ASTA MD/DC - Board Member (currently; Industry Representative), Guild of American Luthiers, American Society of Appraisers.

Kitchen Table Violin Repairs; an Emergency Manual for String Players and Teachers(author). Amercan String Teacher Magazine, Journal of the Suzuki Association of the Americas, Strings Magazine, Journal of Guild American Luthierie

Berklee College of Music

The Chester J. Petranek (2003) award for "Outstanding Community Service in enrichment of the musical life of the Washington metropolitan area." Traugott Rohner Leadership in the Music Industry Award: Dalton Potter; The Potter Violin Company, 2008 ASTA sponsorship recognition awards - too numerous to list.