Violin/Caspar da Salo Violin in Chile

Question
Tag inside violin
Tag inside violin  
Dear Expert,
I have received from my Grandfather an ancient violin labeled inside as "Caspar da Salo in Brescia" and just bellow it..."1590".
The instrument is not in good shape, needs expert maintenance.
First of all I would like to ask how to proceed in order to certify it as an "original Casper da Salo". Next, In case it is a "da Salo", where to maintain it (Italy, Germany?, a special luthier in order to not loosing value?). and finally, how to price it, both, as it is now and later when a complete maintenance is done.
In case of further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Best Regards,
Arturo Velasquez
Santiago, Chile.

Answer
If this is a real Gaspara de Salo, it is indeed a great find and depending on cindition, could be worth many hundreds of thousands of $'s. I can't find a reputable dealer of consequence in Chile so you may have to travel to another country. You definitely want it looked at by an honest and knowledgeable person.
The bad news is that there are so many fakes and copies with labels that it is rare to find a genuine one.

http://www.allviolinshops.com/ try this web site.

Steve

Violin

Steve Levine