Violin/Neuner 4/4 Violin

Question
I have a question about a Neuner violin, which I showed to an expert in New York. He told me that it was made in Mittenwald by someone from the Neuner family, but he wasn't sure specifically by whom. The violin is labeled Stradivarius with the date of 16something. Do you know which of the Neuner family used this type of label? The varnish is reddish, like a French violin, and the sound, even after not being played for nearly 100 years, has a lot of quality. Actually I showed it to an instrument dealer before the expert, and he thought it was a French violin. I would really appreciate any insight you might have into who made this violin. Many thanks and all the best.

Answer
Hi Rafael
The label probably has nothing to do with any Neuner that may have made your instrument. It is more likely that that was inserted at some other time.  All of the Neuner instruments that I have ever seen that had original labels said nothing about Stradivari or any other maker. The labels listed the name,city, date and sometimes instrument number and that they were a violin maker or Geigenmacher. Often times the public will not purchase a violin without a label and someone decided that it would be better to have something rather than nothing in the inside of the violin.
As far as which Neuner made it, if it was indeed made by someone in that family. A number of the Neuner family used a warm red brown varnish, so that doesn't help much. Good French instruments tend to be extremely clean in their workmanship - almost machine like, whereas prior to around 1880 German work was a little more individualistic. Honestly I feel too many dealers/appraisers jump on the Neuner family bandwagon when they really just do not know and should just say that they do not know. Without seeing the instrument closeup, I of course can't really render much of any real opinion other than these generalities.

As you can see the Neuner family was very big and long lived.

Lastname  Firstname   From   To   Country   City 1          Products
Neuner   Willibald   1687   1710   Germany   Mittenwald   Instruments
Neuner   Simon          1666   1706   Germany   Mittenwald   Instruments
Neuner   Matthias (5#   1851   1880   Germany   Mittenwald   Instruments
Neuner   Matthias #4#   1820   1840   Germany   Mittenwald   Instruments
Neuner   Matthias #3#   1785   1830   Germany   Mittenwald   Instruments
Neuner   Matthias #2#   1720   1773   Germany   Mittenwald   Instruments
Neuner   Matthias #1#   1640   1670   Germany   Mittenwald   Viols Lutes etc.
Neuner   Martin          1836   1860   Germany   Mittenwald   Instruments
Neuner   Manfred          1861   1861   Germany   Mittenwald   Instruments
Neuner   Ludwig #2#   1861   1897   Germany   Mittenwald   Both/Bows
Neuner   Ludwig #1#   1830   1830   Germany   Mittenwald   Instruments
Neuner   Joseph #Josef#   1790   1812   Germany   Passau          Instruments
Neuner   Johann Georg   1820   1824   Russia   St. Petersburg   Instruments
Neuner   Johann #3#   1829   1849   Germany   Mittenwald   Instruments
Neuner   Johann #2#   1800   1815   Germany   Mittenwald   Instruments
Neuner   Johann #1)   1749   1764   Germany   Mittenwald   Instruments
Neuner   Hans          1897   1934   Germany   Mittenwald   Instruments
Neuner   Eduard          1882   1882   Austria   Innsbruck   Instruments
Neuner   Barthel          1730   1750   Germany   Mittenwald   Instruments
Neuner & Hornsteiner    1750   1970   Germany   Mittenwald   Instruments

I wish you luck in getting a more definitive answer by someone who can see the instrument in person. No expert can know every makers work, and as such you must keep looking. It is the honest appraisers who will tell you they don't know. When you find someone that is sure, you want to get a Certificate of Authenticity, not just an appraisal.  This puts the appraiser on record with his reputation at stake. This is of course if the value of the instrument is determined to be significant as papers like this can cost a good deal more than a simple appraisal.

Violin

David Lashof