Violin/old violin

Question
QUESTION: I have an old violin in pieces, the label says A Adelman, Dec 1912, ------, Oklahoma    Does it have any value

ANSWER: Hi Gerald
Unfortunately the only Adelman in any of my reference books, databases or auction result lists is for an Olga from Germany in the mid 1900's. It could very well be that the person was an amateur maker and didn't make many instruments or just that they were not very well known. Obviously not every maker that ever lived can be accounted for and the ones that get in the reference materials need to be seen to be known.

If you can get the instrument to a violin shop, they will be able to tell the quality and give you a value range.

Good luck and I hope you find out some information.

QUESTION: Have another old violin, label says "Manufactured in Berlin, special copy of Antonius Stradivarius.   Also has a capitol letter L with some kind of branches or twigs around it as a design. Any ideas or comments on this violin. thanks

ANSWER: Hi again
Sorry for the delay, I was doing some research.  Although I am not 100% sure, I think it might be made by Lowendall, probably Louis. I can't find anything about the art but the "L" was used by him and he worked in Berlin vs. the other more prominent violin making places in Germany like Mittenwald or Markneuchirken. Sorry that I can't be sure. One note is that many of the Lowendall instruments have a slightly murky brown varnish with very little red and no yellow. To be sure, show it to someone in person as color photography often doesn't show up the subtle color hues that are needed to be seen to help identify an instrument.

QUESTION: Thank you for your follow up on the second violin. Now for a third violin. My sister and I used to play violin when we where young. Our teacher was an older german pastor and he would order violins from Germany if someone wanted to buy one. This is about 40 or 45 years ago. The only markings on the inside are the letters "A" and "K". they are kind of fancy and they slightly overlap each other. The A first and then the K. The back of the violin has a striped looking wood. Kind of an orange tone to it. looks kind of like tiger striped wood. This violin is in really nice condition.

Answer
There were many, many makers in Germany during that time period whose initials were A.K. The only one that I could find that did use his initials on the label was Albin Kampffe circa 1930 - Markneukirchen auction value - $3000.  This of course does not mean that he was the only one and in this example the letters were not overlapping.

In the end, it probably doesn't mater, none of the makers with those initials during that time period are specifically high in value, but a number do reach several thousand at auction. As I have said before, the best way is to have it looked at in person. Labels are more often wrong than right. If it is still not bale to be decided who made the instrument, it is the makers talent, when it was made, where it was made, the condition and sound that will set the value.  

Violin

David Lashof