Violin/SCRATCHY VIOLIN SOUND

Question
I HAVE A NICE QUALITY GUARNERI VIOLIN, WITH ''VIOLINO'
STRINGS.....WHY DOES MY VIOLIN SOUND ''SCRATCHY''
AT TIMES?.....IS IT MY BOW...TOO MUCH ROSIN, OR TOO
LITTLE ROSIN, KIND OF ROSIN?.....OR IS IT....ME?
  IT IS A BEAUTIFULL del Gesu VIOLIN, NICE TONE ETC;
BUT VERY ANNOYING TO PLAY...WHEN IT GETS ''SCRATCHY''

Answer
Hi Wilson,

Usually the problem you reference stems from the bow arm.  Rather than focus on the scratching, let's just focus on how to get a clean sound all of the time.  

If you take a scale, for example, use a moderate weight with your hair positioned near the bridge but not too close.  As you draw your whole bows, take care to observe: (1) bow speed always stays the same, and not too fast.  Uneven bow speeds can cause the scratchiness, such as when you slow down before a bow change.  (2) your bow hair stays parallel to the bridge through the length of the bow, maintaining your bow position.  (3) maintain these standards on your detache' and slurred bowings.  

Violin

Todd Sullivan