Violin/Stradivarius Violin

Question
Front
Front  

Scroll
Scroll  
Hi David,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and expertise with all of us. I started playing the violin at the age of six (Suzuki Method). It was my father’s dream to have me follow the path of a dedicated musician as was also hoped for my 3 siblings. He was never short of providing ample opportunity to all of us by always giving us the opportunity and also the backup with many tutors. The instruments that we were offered and encouraged to master were the violin, the piano, the flute and the clarinet. My biggest regret is that I never amounted to anything with all the support that was so generously given. I think that I probably was not blessed with a good musical ability. In my earlier years, after being faced with bridges breaking on a regular basis, my father found, after a little investigation, that I was turning the violin case upside down and using it as a toboggan down the grassy slopes on my walk back from my violin lessons. After all, the violin case was perfectly shaped just for this purpose! Anyhow, in a final ditch effort to rekindle my (or my father’s) dream of a musical genius, he decided to purchase the next size of violin with a good, rich sound, which is what I now bring into the equation. It was undoubtedly one of the most magnificent musical instruments I had ever laid eyes upon or heard. What a beautiful sound it made. But alas, a good sounding instrument doth not a musician make. After a while, my father relented and eased the pressure, which ultimately lead to the silence. I often took out the violin just to look at and to hold, desperately wanting to play it. But the peg board had a small crack which could no longer hold the peg. So the strings have lain limp for many years, only seeing light on the occasions when opened to be gazed upon and held lovingly. It has a really magical feeling. Every time, wishing that I had been able to fulfil both my and my father’s wish for me to be the most nimble of violinist. He had said to me on occasion that this beautiful instrument was worth something, so I humbly request that you look at this beautiful instrument, and tell me what I have been blessed with for all these years. What my father has invested in me only with his support is undeniably priceless, and I only wish that I had been able to convey my appreciation before he died in February 2012.
I would dearly like to cherish this violin for the rest of my life and pass it along to the generations to come, but I am beginning to feel rather selfish by “hiding” this instrument and not letting its enchanting sound be heard.

Answer
Hi Christopher
Your story is not that uncommon, parents wanting the most for their children and the children growing into adults before those dreams are even considered with any possibility. I remember myself sliding my violin case down the slick halls in Junior High school.

I can't tell much from the photographs as they don't show nearly enough detail and photos rarely do.  I can tell you for an absolute certainty that it is not a Stradivari.  The wood is not the same, the varnish is not the same, the workmanship is not of the caliber that Stradivari possessed and the instrument is no where near old enough.  The violin does appear to be made in Europe but probably not until the late 1800's. The darkening on the top of the violin by the bridge is most likely artificial to make the instrument look old, as real age in this area takes on a different look and looks more natural and less painted on.

The violin could still have some value, but probably no more than around $1500 in playing condition. To be sure of the value if possible I would take it to a violin shop for an evaluation. If you do fix it up, get the crack and any other gluing done and wait on any setting up to play until it can be used. Cracks need to be repaired as soon as possible so that it doesn't make it harder to repair them.  If you make the violin playable and just stick it away, much of that extra work will have to be done again when someone is ready to use it.  

Violin

David Lashof