Violin/violin appraisal etc

Question
i have a 1924 german made violin by wurlitzer and it is signed inside in german. there is a sticker inside which says made in germany and by wurlitzer and so on but someone has signed it right across the sticker before it was properly made. also there is another sticker with two army figures with drums hanging infront of them and rifles down by there side. some text i can read as its hard to see in there properly and i see the word churchhill etc etc written below the two army figures. i cant read german so i cant read whos name is signed inside it neither

Answer
Hi Mark

The violin that you have was not actually made by Wurlitzer but rather imported by the Wurlitzer firm that settled in Cincinnati in 1896. Any instruments that he might have made after that time would not be labeled from Germany. There are no known instruments made by him of that late a date. It was, as it is stated in the instrument. "Made in Germany". Since that was written all in English, it had to be made after 1921 and so the 1924 date is probably correct.

With just your description of the labels inside I can't shed any light on a specific maker in Germany. If you could somehow get some photos of the labels - even if it has to be several, and send them to me, I can see if I can tell any more. Often times there will be clues as to the actual maker, bot more often that information is lost to the ages.

The name Churchill and the label with the soldiers and armaments could have something to do with the end of WW1 when Churchill was the British Cabinet minister who was responsible for all economic and financial matters. If the instrument had been imported from the US into England, that label for instance could be part of that procedure.

Violin

David Lashof