Violin/Violin Bow

I have a violin bow which was my father's. I know that it is Italian, and that it is a good brand. I live in Parma Ohio (44130). I am trying to figure out where I can go to have it appraised.

Hi Tiberiu,

Thanks for your question.  I know more about the shops in Eastern PA than I do of those in Western PA and Ohio, but it looks like there are a couple of shops in your area.  I know that Peter Zarret has a good reputation and is located in Cleveland.

5767 Mayfield Road,
Cleveland, OH 44124

1-888-VIOLIN2 (846-5462)
Fax: 440-461-1855

I also see a listing for a Horst's Violin Shop right in Parma, though I don't know them and can't speak to their reliability.  

Parma, OH 44130
(440) 842-5576

For bows, specifically, I like to recommend Lynn Hannings, up in Maine.  She's not local, but you can mail your bow to her.  And, I can vouch for her that she is a real pro and could give you an accurate appraisal.  

Best of luck,

Jim Fisher

James S. Fisher

Please Note: For an accurate appraisal of your instrument's value or history, I must advise you to take it to a local luthier or string shop for an evaluation. It's really not possible to do this with any accuracy via email.

However, I am happy to answer other questions about violins, bows, violin playing, and violin/bow repair. I can also talk with you about what bows, rosin, strings, cases, shoulder rests, etc. might work best for you and your particular instrument. (There are some great new products on the market.) I've taught violin and fiddle playing for the past 18 years and will answer questions about playing and technique.

I've been studying the violin for over thirty years. I started teaching in 1996. In addition to my training at Lebanon Valley College and at the Violin Institute, I handle violins, bows, and customer questions of all sorts on a daily basis in my shop - J.S. Fisher Violins,

I hold a Bachelor of Music degree from Lebanon Valley College, as well as certificates in violin repair, violin maintenance, and bow rehairing from the Violin Institute at the University of New Hampshire.