Violin/Violin Bow

Question

I have a violin bow which was my father's. I know that it is Italian, and that it is a good brand. I live in Parma Ohio (44130). I am trying to figure out where I can go to have it appraised.

Answer
Hi Tiberiu,

Thanks for your question.  I know more about the shops in Eastern PA than I do of those in Western PA and Ohio, but it looks like there are a couple of shops in your area.  I know that Peter Zarret has a good reputation and is located in Cleveland.

5767 Mayfield Road,
Cleveland, OH 44124

440-461-1411
1-888-VIOLIN2 (846-5462)
Fax: 440-461-1855 pzaret@roadrunner.com

I also see a listing for a Horst's Violin Shop right in Parma, though I don't know them and can't speak to their reliability.  

7650 W PLEASANT VALLEY RD
Parma, OH 44130
(440) 842-5576

For bows, specifically, I like to recommend Lynn Hannings, up in Maine.  She's not local, but you can mail your bow to her.  And, I can vouch for her that she is a real pro and could give you an accurate appraisal.

lahbows.com  

Best of luck,

Jim Fisher

Violin

James S. Fisher