Violin/Violin Maker and General Information

Question
I bought a violin at an estate auction for my daughter for $50.  I am trying to get general information and value on the violin to see if it is worth to repair and refurbish for my daughter.

Inside it says "Copie de Antonius Stradiuarius Cremonenfis Faciebat Anno 1721", "France", "149" and a stamp with an "A" and "S" with a cross above the letters.

It came with a Joseph Richter bow and in a Lifton violin case.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you kindly.

Answer
Copie De Label
Copie De Label  
Hi Jared
It is hard to evaluate a violin with only that information. Obviously it is just a copy of a 1721 Stradivari. Since the "Copie de" is in French, that would put its date of manufacture after 1914 and more likely after 1921 because of the McKinley Tariff Act's requirement of certain wording on imports. The AS is just the copied monogram of Antonio Stradivarius.

As far as value goes, they are very common and are of a student quality, some are much nicer than others, but I would put the general price range in the under $1200 range. These instruments were put out by the thousands in Mirecourte France. One company in Mirecourt was known to have made over 10,000 instruments in just one year, and there were many companies working in that time. I will attempt to attach a picture from my archives of the label as yours probably appears. Condition of the instrument makes a huge difference in value as does the actual workmanship since many levels of quality came with this type of label. These instruments typically sold from around $5 up to $100 in 1921.

The Richter bow is made in Germany, some are of a very standard student quality and others can be nicer and even mounted in Sterling Silver. The range of value can also be wide from worth almost nothing to $350 or so.

Lifton cases were very popular in the late 50's into the early 70's, I had one myself for my first violin. They really don't have any value, but if still in good condition they can be used.

The best advice that I can give is to take it to a violin shop for an evaluation. It may be worth repairing but it could need so much work to make usable that it would cosy more than the instrument is worth especially if it won't end up sounding very good.

Violin

David Lashof