Violin/ancien violon

Question
violon
violon  
violon
violon  
QUESTION: Bonsoir j'aimerais si cela est dans vos possibilités d'estimer mon violon celui-ci à une étiquette à l'intérieur difficile d'accès elle contient cette phrase "Pietro Antonio dalla costa fece in treviso anno 17 celui-ci mesure 58,5 cm en tout le plateau fait 35,6 cm il y a 2 fines lignes noir qui harmonise le contour et forme du violon , il est accompagné de 2 archets et d'un étui celui-ci n'est plus en très bon état mais j'espère que vous serez m'en apprendre d'avantages cordialement

ANSWER: Hello Jeremy
From the pictures supplied, from what I can tell, the violin is made in the late 1800's and is of a commercial quality and not Italian Dalla-Costa from the 1760's when he used that style of label. The varnish on a real one is also much richer in texture and they are all in the orange to red color and not so brown. I really can't tell you anymore based on just these pictures as they are not very useful. The measurement that you give is fairly standard for a 4/4 violin however Dalla-Costa is known to make his instruments slightly small, so that would be another reason to say this is a commercial copy. It was extremely common to use facsimile labels inside commercial instruments to denote the model.

Instruments that are made by him fetch at auction in the $50,000 range so I would recommend having it looked at in person as that is the only way to be sure of its make but also to access its needs for repair which will be many as the pictures indicate. But my interpretation from the pictures is that it is a much more modern copy and fixed up it could be worth up to $2000.

QUESTION: tout ce que je sais c'est que c'etait a mon arriere arriere grand pere alors alors je sais qui et vieux ce violon et qu'il est reste longtemps dans son etui ranger dans un armoire depuis longtemps merci d'avance

ANSWER: If the violin was your grandfathers, then the late 1800's still works as he would have been young  lad as that is now 130 years ago. Also, not that I think it happened, but it is not uncommon to find an instrument that was swapped for another by some unscrupulous person or that family lore as it is passed down has been misconstrued. My real opinion is that the instrument was fairly new when he got it as a young man and as such the date of it being made in the late 1800's still fits. I wish I had better pictures to work from or better yet the instrument in hand, then I could really tell a lot more.

I wish you the best of luck with it and I would love to be wrong, but these copies abound in such large numbers, I have seen many, many thousands of them. The look is so very different from a fine Italian made instrument from the 1700's.

Dave Lashof

violn
violn  

violon
violon  
QUESTION: voila une autre photo de ce violon

Answer
Jeremy
These pictures, although still not very good, clearly show an instrument made between 1880 and the early 1900's that was almost certainly made in Germany. It has the telltale edge work, button style, wood selection, varnish style and modern neck without a graft(although that is a little hard to say for sure) Italian instruments from the late 1600's-the 1700's have a much deeper depth to the varnish, a very unique wood selection and the workmanship is very different.  I wish I could have given you better news.

Dave

Violin

David Lashof