Violin/Chinese Cello

Question
Take a look at the cello in this listing:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/msg/3368977797.html

Now here is what I'v ebeen told about this cello...It's in great condition with 3 light little rubbing marks on the back of the body, and that it is good to go and doesn't need any service or repair. Also the case is in perfect working order and that the cello has been marked down from $550 so that it would sell faster. I know that it is most likely not a pro cello, but do you have any experience with such cellos of chinese origin? What advice can you give me based on the description in the ad and the details that I have provided? Also I plan to test it with my viola bow...will that work? Thanks.

Answer
Hi there
Unfortunately there is no way I can tell anything from pictures like that and no information about the make/brand of the instrument. Even condition is impossible to tell from this quality of a photo. When I try to enlarge the photo to actually see it, it becomes so blurry it is impossible to see anything.

If the information that you have received about the condition comes from the private seller and not from a repair person, there could be a number of things that could be needed or wrong the the seller isn't aware of. So often, instruments like this are purchased off Amazon and Ebay and when the buyer gets them and tries to use them they find out how poor a quality they are. I can't say that about this instrument because I can't begin to see it up close. Just being a Yellow shaded Chinese instrument doesn't help and that is all I can see.

A viola bow will work, but you won't get the full effect of the cello's sound as a viola bow is too light.  The sound will be brighter and thinner with a viola bow than with a cello bow.
The best advice that I can provide is to find out if you can have the instrument looked at, I doubt that will be allowed, but if not at least see if your teacher can go with you.

In General, new Chinese cello's from a violin shop that cost in the range of $800-1000 with a bag and bow are the lowest quality that I recommend. Without the bow and with a hard case, it would probably be about the same. It's your guess as much as mine, how much this instrument cost new. And just the cost, if it originally sold on line, is not really a good measure of quality.

There are some great Chinese Cello's, including ones at the professional level. But there are a huge number that are just junk and there is no way to tell you what to look for, you just have to trust who you are buying from and traditionally getting something like this online is not the way to buy a stringed instrument. You need to be able to trust the seller and be able to work with them if the need arises. The cello might be fine or it might be junk, you won't really know until you have tried it and maybe used it for a few weeks, by hen it is too late to deal with a seller like this.

I wish I could have given you some actual information of this cello, but the seller has not provided what is needed to even make an informed decision.

Violin

David Lashof