Violin/Jim Fisher

Guarnerius Joseph
Guarnerius Joseph  
I own a Guarnerius Joseph violin . What would be the price for it.

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for your question.  Unfortunately, there is really no way for me to answer it without having the violin in front of me.  Bartolomeo Giuseppe Guarneri was one of the most renowned violin makers in history.  He is also known as Joseph Guarnerius del Gesu, the Joseph coming from Giuseppe.  I'm sorry to say that this is not a del Gesu.  Aside from these instruments being very rare and valuable, I can tell you from a glance at the picture you provided that this is not the label of an authentic del Gesu.

That is not to say that the instrument is without value.  Guarneri's instruments have been copied my master makers as well as amateurs for hundreds of years.  Labels of this type are extremely common in factory instruments of all types, most having nothing to do with Guarneri.  The fact that the label is typed, with the date written in, lead me to think that this is most likely a factory instrument.  But, that still leaves a wide range of possibilities in terms of quality and value.  I'd recommend making an appointment at a reputable violin shop in your area for a professional appraisal.

Best of luck with it!

Jim Fisher
J.S. Fisher Violins

James S. Fisher

Please Note: For an accurate appraisal of your instrument's value or history, I must advise you to take it to a local luthier or string shop for an evaluation. It's really not possible to do this with any accuracy via email.

However, I am happy to answer other questions about violins, bows, violin playing, and violin/bow repair. I can also talk with you about what bows, rosin, strings, cases, shoulder rests, etc. might work best for you and your particular instrument. (There are some great new products on the market.) I've taught violin and fiddle playing for the past 18 years and will answer questions about playing and technique.

I've been studying the violin for over thirty years. I started teaching in 1996. In addition to my training at Lebanon Valley College and at the Violin Institute, I handle violins, bows, and customer questions of all sorts on a daily basis in my shop - J.S. Fisher Violins,

I hold a Bachelor of Music degree from Lebanon Valley College, as well as certificates in violin repair, violin maintenance, and bow rehairing from the Violin Institute at the University of New Hampshire.