Violin/metronome for hard of hearing violin player

Question
Hi, I read your expertise page, and it sounds like you may be able to help me.My mother has been playing violin for around 3 years now and is gradually getting better. This is the first time she has shown interest in anything since her breast cancer and I really would like to support her and encourage her to keep it up. She has a metronome that works on sound (which i know most do) but she is very hard of hearing, and I think that really makes it hard for her to keep the beat. I am in no way musically adept, that was on my sister's side of the family. I am trying to find her a metronome that works with light flashes, instead of sound. The only ones i find online have small led blinking lights, and i am not sure that will be bright enough for her to see. I am wanting to get this for her for her Christmas present, but the outlook is grim.I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to ready this message, if you have any advice that you could give me, I would be very much appreciative. Thanks

Sincerely,
Sean

Answer
Hi Sean
I wish i could give you the magic answer, but none of the ones that I know have a very bright light, just the small lights you mentioned or a simulated side to side swipe of bars. They used to make an electric one of exactly what you want called the Franz Electric Flash Beat and it had a bright orange strobe type bulb on the top and a very loud sound. They may occasionally go for sale on Ebay but not something to count on easily getting. Some of the electronic models have an ear plug but they change models so often and since I am no longer in the retail end of things, I don't see the new releases very often. The brand Dr. Beat is one of the best for volume, but the also have lots of features like different sound for the different beats of the measures as well as for different types of notes like triplets and so forth.

Violin

David Lashof