Violin/Old Violin

Question
I recently found an old violin which I am not sure how to determine it's origin or anything about it inside the violin it says 1927 Jacob O Lundh can you tell me how I can determine whether it is of any value or recommend an appraiser in my area

Answer
Only one of his instruments has gone to auction in the last 25 years and that one sold for around $1000 in the 90's. Values went up in the the early 21st century and then down again the last 4 years or so. Today, the same instrument mightr auction for around $1200-1500.

From Henley ...Born in Norway, Worked in Minneapolis 1896-1925. Became Lundh & Rowe in 1927 - 400+ instruments. Labels usually signed, varnish in the yellow to red, used a combination of oil and spirit varnish.

My guess is that you probably do have a Lundh, people place labels of makers that are better than the one the label is in, not the other way around.

You didn't say where in Florida, but in central Florida, Atlantic Strings in Melbourne or Orlando could help. I am in Melbourne and that would be where I would go if I needed an appraisal in this region. Otherwise, look for a violin shop in your area that does appraisals.

Condition will make a very big difference in value as will be the sound. No one would purchase this level of an instrument for its collectible value so the condition and sound will set the price. If the instrument is in great shape but just cannot speak well, it will not have a very good price.

Violin

David Lashof