Violin/How to play this very basic rhythm (PIC)?

uncle duke wrote at 2013-04-30 16:51:12
here's another- start tapping your right foot without raising your heel. Count 1, 2, 3... 1, 2, 3... 1, 2, 3... Each time you say a number, the front toe area should be in contact with the floor. Do this counting/tapping exercise for 15-30 seconds. If you are having trouble tappng and counting 1,2 3 at the same time, keep working at it until you think you're ready for the next step which will be this. Start tapping and using the 1st note only, bow the D on beats 1, 2, and 3 and keep repeating until comfortable. Next, double the output and bow the D note 2 times per foot tap. The 1st will be when the toe area is down and the 2nd D will be when the toe area is up. The 3rd D will be when the toe area contacts the floor. The 4th D will be when the toes are back up and the 5th and 6th D's will be your next tapping sequence. You should be bowing 6 notes using 3 taps of the foot with note #6 being played with your front part of the foot raised. Following so far. Good. Now let's try 4 D notes per beat. Start tapping and counting 1, 2, 3...1, 2, 3... Now bow the D 4 times quickly. After the 4th D is played, your toe area should be raised and getting ready to hit the floor for beat #2.  If your foot hit the floor, good. Bow another 4 D notes to cover beat #2. If your toes are down at the end of beat 2 and you have just played 8 notes, bow/play another 4 D notes to cover beat #3. Long story short here is to play 12 consecutive d notes per 3 taps of the right foot.

Now for the measure of music you want to learn- Still using the D note only for now, bow the 1st beat 4 times per 1 up/down motion of the foot(a tap) but make the first 2 D's sound like 1 non-separated played note followed by 2 quicker played D notes. You should of only heard 3 sounds. If you got that right, play again and add 5 more D's to the last 2 you just played and hold the last one for one up/down motion of the foot.  This is the rythym/sycopation of the measure shown that you inquired about. When you have the rythym figured out using the D's only, start omitting D notes for the ones that are supposed to be played. This could take anywheres from 20 minutes to 2 weeks. Good luck.

Violin

James S. Fisher