Violin/Antonius Mucchi violin

Question
Hi, I have an 1882 Antonius Mucchi violin, i'm having a hard time finding info. on him and trying to get this valued .
Please feel free to contact me anytime, (3120)630-7100 call or e-mail is fine,
         Thanks, Chris

Answer
Hi Chris
Antonio Mucchi was born in 1800 and died in 1883 and worked in Modena Italy. He studied with Sollani and copied many of the better makers such as Guarneri, Guadagnini, Pressenda, Rocca and Stradivari. He was a very good copyist and was a very talented maker. When he made non copies, he used a yellow to yellow brown varnish.  Some labels were written -

Antonius Mucchi
fecit Mutinae, 188_

They have sold at auction from 10-20k however, just because it is labeled Anotnio Mucchi does not make it one, you need to take it to a violin shop that does appraisals to get it authenticated. Condition will also make a big difference in value. If it turns out to be a real one, having it properly appraised will be the only way to get insurance and will also be important if you want to sell it. If you do choose to sell it, the best kind of appraisal to have is a "Fair Market Appraisal" rather than an "Insurance Appraisal".  

Violin

David Lashof