Violin/Fritz Moennig Violin

Question
label
label  
QUESTION: The label in my violin doesn't have a letter or a date like other Fritz Monnig labels I've seen. Mine has no. 83 and a signature. Also mine doesn't have MARKNEUKIRCHEN under the label. Can it be dated? Is it factory or handmade? I would like to pass it on to someone who can appreciate it only if it's worthy.

ANSWER: Hi Mike
I am not very familiar with Monnig violins, but I do know that labels are changed all the time. What might have been used one year as a style and what information was included, may not be what the next years models label looks like. None of my books have a picture of any of his labels. At the time that they were made, they were considered on the higher end of the trade instrument grade. In the late 1920's they were exclusively distributed by Tonk Brothers in Chicago. They were hand made but for the trade rather than being marketed directly to players. This was the more common way that makers sold their instruments during that time because they didn't have to find the buyers.  
I have sold a couple of them over the years but I didn't pay too much attention to the details of the labels as that really is not that important as labels themselves are more often wrong than right anyway. The best way to know the quality of the violin is to have it evaluated on its merits, not on what the label says. Although some of the Monnig instruments can now bring close to $10,000, it really depends on the instrument and its condition and of course sound quality. They are not considered a collectable at this point in time.
As far as a date goes, if it is a Monnig it could not have been made prior to 1891 when the McKinley Tariff Act required instruments to be marked with the country of origin,  as Monnig was not even born until 1890. Although often these labels were secondary and it could have been removed or it fell out. The only way to be sure of the legitimacy of the instrument is to have it seen in person by an appraiser, but what little I can see of the varnish in the picture, it is of the same color tone as many of his instruments. Many things can determine value and quality, the least being what something is labeled. An appraiser might be able to pinpoint it as an early or late work.

side
side  
QUESTION: Fritz Monnig - MARKNEUKIRCH and Fritz Moennig - Vienna the brother or cousin of Willam Monnig - Philadelphia? I wonder which one I have. It was my grandmothers. She could play almost anything with strings. And the piano. I remember years ago the fella that put a bridge on it for her said it was a pretty good one. But that's all I remember. I will take your advice and find an appraiser. Here is another pic. so you can see the varnish color better just for fun. Thanks again for your time. Mike

Answer
I tried answering this earlier from my Kindle but I guess it didn't go through. There were 4 generations of William Moennig's from Philly. The first one was born in the late 1880's and trained first with an Uncle named Adolf Monnig and then by a maker in the US before opening his own shop in Philly. He may have had his name changed to Monnig when he came to the US as he is listed with both spellings while the other Williams only are known as Moennig. There doesn't seem to be any connection to either of the Fritz Monnig's.  I am fairly sure that yours would be the Markneukirchen one and the varnish is definitely in that vein.
Dave

Violin

David Lashof