Violin/Gio, Bap. Lucca anno 1800 Carlo Bergonzi Fecit in Cermona

Question
Violin case circa 1918
Violin case circa 1918  
I brought my grandfathers violin in to be repaired and refurbished by a qualified (Al Dzina, Recommendation) We are  having it restored and will cost approx $800

I brought the violin into Samuel Kolstein & Sons, Baldwin, NY
He informed me that this instrument although labeled Berrgonzi was not and was possibly manufactured in Germany.

Is there a way to find out who the actual manufacturer of the violin was? Our Grandfather received  it in 1918. It has a  wonderful old wooden violin case with brass handles and lock sets
Thank you,
Richard Sadis

Answer
Hi Richard,

Your luthier will likely be a better source of information regarding the original maker of your instrument; and in fact, it may not be possible to determine who the original maker(s) were. Since you are investing $800 to restore it, I have to presume it is indeed a quality instrument worthy of such investment.

If you'd like more information on the study of the violin, I focus on that topic on my own site: http://invincibleviolinist.com.

Hoping your violin journey brings you great happiness,

Bill Alpert

Violin

Bill Alpert