Violin/Gio, Bap. Lucca anno 1800 Carlo Bergonzi Fecit in Cermona

Violin case circa 1918
Violin case circa 1918  
I brought my grandfathers violin in to be repaired and refurbished by a qualified (Al Dzina, Recommendation) We are  having it restored and will cost approx $800

I brought the violin into Samuel Kolstein & Sons, Baldwin, NY
He informed me that this instrument although labeled Berrgonzi was not and was possibly manufactured in Germany.

Is there a way to find out who the actual manufacturer of the violin was? Our Grandfather received  it in 1918. It has a  wonderful old wooden violin case with brass handles and lock sets
Thank you,
Richard Sadis

Hi Richard,

Your luthier will likely be a better source of information regarding the original maker of your instrument; and in fact, it may not be possible to determine who the original maker(s) were. Since you are investing $800 to restore it, I have to presume it is indeed a quality instrument worthy of such investment.

If you'd like more information on the study of the violin, I focus on that topic on my own site:

Hoping your violin journey brings you great happiness,

Bill Alpert

Bill Alpert

BEFORE YOU ASK, PLEASE NOTE: I cannot answer questions about instrument repair or value. You need to visit a reputable local violin shop for such assistance, or do some reasearch online: I can answer questions related to the study of the violin, teaching violin and the performance of concert (classical) music. I'm happy to assist anyone who is serious about his/her violin journey as a pathway to personal growth and musical achievement.

I am a professional symphony violinist, studio recording musician and also a private studio teacher specializing in the Suzuki Method. I've arranged music for small ensembles and voice, and have contracted musical performances in a variety of venues.

American String Teachers Association, Suzuki Institute of the Americas

B.A. Music, UCLA, California State Polytechnic University, Suzuki Pedagogical studies at the Suzuki Institute of Colorado and at Occidental College.