Violin/Nicolaus Amatus

Question
Left side of label
Left side of label  
Right side of label
Right side of label  
QUESTION: Can you tell me if the obvious copy markings are visible from these label photos of my Nicolaus Amatus Violin? Thank you.

ANSWER: Hi Robert
I can't say for positive 100% but these are the reasons that I think that it is a copy.
1. the label is identical to the ones in the book, down to the exact spacing and size of the hand written portion of the date.
2. The ink is entirely too new looking and dark for a label that would be 350 years old.
3. The paper looks to be much too thick and in too good a shape for the paper that Amati used and for paper that should be 350 years old.

From the label only, I would date  this in the early 1900's

Pictures of the violin would be a lot more helpful, labels generally mean almost nothing.  If I tried, I could do a much better job of counterfeiting a label. This one is very typical of those that were easily available in book format in the early 20th century.

back view
back view  
top view
top view  
QUESTION: I'm attaching more photos. Unfortunately, I'm limited to 2. I can send you more if you like. In your opinion, is it worth getting an appraisal or having it refurbished?

ANSWER: Hi again Robert
There is no question that this is a copy.  It dates from the early 1900's and is very typical of the average to better quality trade instruments made in the thousands from around 1900-1920.
It looks to be in good condition other than needing an actual setup which could run several hundred dollars depending on what all will need to be done. Typically these instruments are worth in the $1000-2000 range and without setting it up, there is really no way to say the final value. If you take it in to get it in working condition, the shop should be able to confirm this. Unless there is some damage that I can't see in these photos, these instruments are usually well worth putting in playing condition.

body up close
body up close  

tuning knobs
tuning knobs  
QUESTION: Thank you for your help. Your expertise and know-how is much appreciated. You confirmed what I already thought. Please allow me to impose on you one last time. What did you see or not see on my violin that secured what your originally surmised from the fake label? This is totally for my own edification and to satisfy my curiosity. I attached two more photos so you can see condition of the wood. Thanks again, Bob

Answer
Robert
There is so very much that just screams early 1900's German.  The varnish, the workmanship, this specific instrument has all of the earmarks to the Amati copies. Even the wood selection is German.
BTW - here is a typical example of a real one

http://www.kuhmann.com/YangLiu/Amati%20violin%20(large).jpg

Dave

Violin

David Lashof