Violin/Very old Stradivarius Fake

Question
1
1  
2
2  
QUESTION: I recently found a fake Strad.  I've done a lot of research and determined that it's not genuine due to two discrepancies on the label that differ from the legitimate Strad labels I've seen. The verbage inside is all accurate except for the following: The date is 1712 with both the one and seven being printed and the 12 being hand written.  There was also about a half inch gap between the date and the AS mark.  The violin does, however appear to be hundreds of years old.  I'm including a link to numerous pictures in the hopes you might be able to shed some more light on the age and origin of this instrument. Thanks for your help. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/edit/a.3512534727847.2127705.1106260151/

ANSWER: Hi Weston
The Facebook link for the additional pictures does not seem to work as it just opens to a blank page, but the two attached photos are basically enough. It appears to be a German made instrument from around 1860-1880.  It is in really bad condition having had some very poor repairs done to it. If the repairs had not been done, the instrument might have been worth a few thousand dollars but it really isn't worth anything any more.  If the back, neck and sides are in better shape, a new top could be made, but that would cost a few thousand anyway, so in the end you would still not have a violin that was worth more than a few thousand dollars.

These instruments typically were made by a group of makers working together with one making tops and another making backs and so forth. There is no way to ever know who exactly made this instrument and unless there are some additional markings or brands inside the instrument, we probably won't be able to tell what firm made it. It is always best to show an instrument to someone in person rather than through pictures, and a more accurate dating might be able to be done that way. In the end, it really doesn't matter since it was not and never will be an instrument of merit as far as who made it. It could still have a good sound, but without seeing it in person, I couldn't tell how much work was needed to make it playable, it certainly will cost more than the instrument is worth, but it could still have a nice sound and as such could cost less to fix it vs. how much it would cost to get an instrument of similar sound that is in good shape. At a very minimum, even if all the cracks are glued tight, it will cost several hundred dollars to make it playable. This of course would be a complete gamble as it will never be able to be sold for much because of the bad repairs.

QUESTION: Thank you so much for your help.  I'm happy enough holding an instrument from the late 1800's despite it's poor condition.  Just for my education-  Could you tell me what signs of previous repair you're seeing?  My untrained eye sees a lot of repairs being needed but I'm not seeing where any have been made.  Thanks again.

Answer
Sometimes I answer these questions and they don't get posted, so here it is again. There are at least 6 old cracks on the top that were previously repaired and very poorly at that. When they glued the cracks, they didn't get the seams even and then to make things level, they scraped away varnish and possibly wood to make them flat. The cracks have since come open again. There is a lot of dirt in the cracks and of course now the original varnish is destroyed, both of which really hurt the value of the instrument. I hope that helps to explain what I can see.

Violin

David Lashof