Violin/possible Stainer violin

Question
David,
I believe I have a Stainer violin but I'm not sure. The violin has no printed label on the inside but it does look as if Jacobus put his actual handwritten label in it. It says "Jacobus Stainer in Absam PropeOemiponlom 1690." However there is no lion's, or woman's head carved on the scroll and there seems to be some sort of stamp on the back below the neck saying STAINER. I can send pictures if you need them. Do you think this could be a real Stainer?

Answer
Hi Charity
I am sorry to tell you but the instrument that you have is almost certainly a copy. Although Stainer did mostly use handwritten labels in his instruments, on rare occasions he used printed ones.  They both have been copied many thousands of times. Although some Stainers have lions heads or other types of non scrolls he also used conventional ones so that in itself doesn't help either. What does help is that you state that the instrument is branded STAINER on the back by the neck. Real Stainers are never branded. Almost exclusively the copies have a medium to dark brown varnish rather than a rich golden amber, the wood is fairly plain vs. highly flamed maple and exquisite quality spruce, the arching is overly high in exaggeration and the workmanship is usually sub par.

The best way is to have it looked at it person, but I would be glad to look at some pictures. Also, many times the labels of the copies are carelessly misspelled, and if you typed the label information as it truly appears, that would be one of the copied labels. Although also copied correctly, real labels are Absom not Absam. Prope is not capitalized. Oenipontum, not Oemiponlom. Lastly, in 1680, probably due to persecution as a heretic, he fell into a manic-depressive syndrome, dying three years later in 1683, so the date of 1690 cannot be accurate.  Until death records were verified much more recently many of the copies had instruments labeled as made all the way until 1720.  

Violin

David Lashof