Violin/violin identification

Question
Dear Mr. Lashof, I am 70 years old. I bought a full size violin at an auction for a ridiculously low price. I want to begin playing again after a 10 year layoff and this violin is well suited for that.  It is sound, no cracks or separations at glue joints, good varnish and has pleasing tone.  I want to see if I can find out more about its source.  The label says "Joannes Ornatis / Anno Domini 1971" with the "71" written in ink.  There is a small oval label to the right of this label with the number "199" written on it.  I'm not particularly concerned about its value (I don't th8nk it has any great value) but I am very curious about where it was made and who made it.  I have not been able to locate any information on the internet about "Joannes Ornatis" and I wonder if you can help me. Many thanks for your help!

Answer
Hi Mr Carlson
I looked at my reference materials and I too cannot find a listing for a Joannes Ornatis. It could be that it is a made up name going after the notoriety of Guiseppi Ornati from the first half of the 20th century. He also used a second small oval label/brand but it had his name and not a number which is probably just the serial number. Many makers buy violins unvarnished (in the white) and then varnish them and sell them under made up names. Sometimes they do this to get better at varnishing, others that have never made an instrument to begin with do this so that they can pretend that they are makers. In either case, I have seen some really bad ones and some that are very good. Without seeing the instrument close up I wouldn't be able to tell where the instrument was actually made as they are available from many countries.  If you decide that you want to find out, take it to a violin shop and they should be able to at least tell you what country the "white" violin was made in.  

Violin

David Lashof