Violin/violin's worth and cost for restoration

Question
QUESTION: I played violin as a child and teenager.  I acquired my grandfather's violin who received it from his grandfather.  It needs some TLC (new strings), refinished, but is structurally sturdy.  I have all the pieces.  The label on the inside is Giovan paola Maggini brefcia 1695.  I was going to lend it to a friend for continued lessons but then considered checking it's worth.  Thanks for your time.

ANSWER: Hi Bridget
There is no way without seeing the instrument in person or at least by looking at some high quality pictures in detail, to tell if it is real or not. Given that, the chance that it is a real undiscovered Maggini is very doubtful as someone by now would have recognized its quality and told someone in your family. However, if the label reads as you have typed it here, it is a copy and not a good one at that as Maggini died in 1633 and he also abbreviated his name as Gio. on his labels and they are rarely dated.  The only way to be 100% sure is to take it to a violin shop for an appraisal. If it does have any value, "refinishing" it would destroy any value that it might have. Most of the copies have exaggerated arching which makes them sound poorly. I would get it looked at to see what repairs are needed, get an evaluation of value and they will give you an estimate of repair costs. Real ones can be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, while most of the copies are basically worthless to a value of a few hundred dollars. A few of the better copies can be worth up to a few thousand dollars.

QUESTION: What is the best way to locate a local expert regarding violins?  I have a friend who plays in the symphony.  Would that be the best route?

Answer
Nebraska is a big state. Most major cities have violin shops, this site lists two - http://www.allviolinshops.com/violinshops-usa/Nebraska/ and this very respected expert is in Omaha - Mark Womack
Tel: (402) 827-9270
gaspardasalo@yahoo.com
And of course do ask your friend what violin shop they use.

Violin

David Lashof