My grandfather was given a violin in early 1900's by a local fellow after his father died.  Inside the violin it says "Caspar da Salo in Brescia"  Below that 1589.  Is there any way I can verify that it is either a real Caspar da Salo or simply a  reproduction.  It was old and used when my grandfather received it.

Scott, the best way to value an instrument is to take it to a reputable local violin dealer or luthier.

That being said, you can likely find instruments similar to yours listed on e-bay for a few hundred dollars or less. It is almost certainly a copy of the maker's original design. That's not to say it isn't a quality instrument.

What you have could be a decent student quality instrument, if it's in decent repair.

As I always say, the true value on an instrument isn't what it can be sold for, but in the music you can create with it. So learn to play, or donate the instrument to a worthy cause, such as a local music school.

And if anyone tells you it's worth $100,000, I'd take it on the spot!

Enjoy your violin journey!

Bill Alpert

Bill Alpert

BEFORE YOU ASK, PLEASE NOTE: I cannot answer questions about instrument repair or value. You need to visit a reputable local violin shop for such assistance, or do some reasearch online: I can answer questions related to the study of the violin, teaching violin and the performance of concert (classical) music. I'm happy to assist anyone who is serious about his/her violin journey as a pathway to personal growth and musical achievement.

I am a professional symphony violinist, studio recording musician and also a private studio teacher specializing in the Suzuki Method. I've arranged music for small ensembles and voice, and have contracted musical performances in a variety of venues.

American String Teachers Association, Suzuki Institute of the Americas

B.A. Music, UCLA, California State Polytechnic University, Suzuki Pedagogical studies at the Suzuki Institute of Colorado and at Occidental College.