Violin/Opinion required please

Question
Violin
Violin  

Violin 1
Violin 1  
I just bought this violin found in an old estate lot. I felt so sorry for it, reminded me of my dad who played for 70 years. I just had to rescue it. Poor thing is pretty neglected. From the rope strings, it looks like it could even have been used as a child's toy.  Anyways, it looks like it's been around for a while and was probably a beautiful violin at one time. It does have a lable inside that's all written in Latin with the model number 1690 and a manufactuers stamp.  Not sure if this is the factory stamp or what, but I think it must have been imported as we dont use latin here in the US.  My grand-daughter plays the recorder and I though this would make a violin she could start out on once it's been restrung and tuned in by a professional? Or shall I just put it among my other little bits of antique goodies and get her a newer one? Could you also please let me what I need to know when when speaking to someone who can restring it and bring it back to life for me?  Thank you :-)

Answer
Hi Maria

The violin you have is a commercially made German violin from the late 1800's to early 1900's. There is no way to know what factory made it as there were literally millions of these instruments produced mostly for export to the US market. Yours probably is from the earlier period as anything later would have been required to have stated the country of origin. The instrument was modeled after an Antonius Stradivarius from 1690 but in actuality bears little resemblance to a real one. It looks like it might need some considerable work, so I would advise taking it to a violin shop to get an estimate of the costs involved to make it into playable condition. This could easily run several hundred dollars.  I can't see it well enough to evaluate value, but these typically range from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars, the violin shop will also be able to tell you that information.  

Violin

David Lashof