Violin/Cello Cleaning

David Lashof - violin luthier wrote at 2013-12-18 00:25:46
Just be exceptionally careful with alcohol as any that gets on the instruments varnish can cause serious damage to the varnish. Many violin shops use fine steel wool (0000) for cleaning strings and the fingerboard and others use Toluene - but use it outside because it is dangerous to breath. I second the opinion that oil is not necessary.

Todd Sullivan

Hello, I am a NYC violinist performing for Broadway shows, symphony orchestras, opera, and sundry theatre/pop tours. I would be happy to answer your questions about anything related to being a performer in the music business. I play both violin and viola professionally, so questions on playing either instrument are welcome. The only thing I am not well informed on is information concerning instruments/bows...those questions are best left to luthiers.

Professional experience includes a variety of on/off Broadway tours and shows, numerous orchestras, tours with Ray Charles and Ann Murray orchestras, leader of the 20-piece Todd Sullivan Orchestra.

Bachelor of Fine Arts (violin) with honors from Carnegie Mellon University (1999)