Violin/Gaspar Da Salo Violin

Question
I have a violin that has a very old label inside the body which reads, Copie de Gaspar Da Salo in Brescia. It is a very small violin, in need of restoration. How do I know for sure, if it is a Gaspar Da Salo Violin, and if it is worth having it restored?

Answer
Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your question.  You're situation is a common one, and, fortunately, in this case I can give you a clear and simple answer.  The violin you have is not a da Salo.  It is customary for instruments to bear such labels.  But, this does not indicate the maker, but rather the instrument from which this violin was copied.  In this case, the label is telling you that this instrument was modeled on the violins of Gasparo da Salo (Gasparo di Bertolotti), a 16th century maker of some renown and historical importance.  It is unlikely that this violin is a true copy, as da Salo instruments are quite rare, though he did make some small violins.  However, that is what the label purports.  

It is most likely a factory instrument, made in-mass, for export to the U.S. or elsewhere, intended for student players who are not old enough for full sized violins.  The "Copie de" would lead me to believe that it was produced in France or Romania, assuming that the label is genuine, and original to the instrument.

However, it may be worth restoring.  The only way to determine that, however, is to take it to a reputable violin shop and have it evaluated.  Factory instruments of this type range widely in price and quality.  The current value will depend upon the original quality of the violin and the extent of the damage.  If the damage is substantial, then it is probably not worth the cost of repair.  Particularly, as it is a small instrument.  But, most shops will give you an estimate for repair and a rough appraisal without obligation or fee, so it's certainly worth having it looked over.  (Old wood always sounds better than new!)  If you're lucky, and it is in reasonably good condition, and of a good quality to begin with, it could be worth several thousand; though, it is more likely to be worth in the neighborhood of $200 - $600, after repairs.  

Best of luck with it.

Jim Fisher

Violin

James S. Fisher