Violin/George Klotz violin circa 1900

Question
KLOTZ VIOLIN
KLOTZ VIOLIN  

KLOTZ VIOLIN
KLOTZ VIOLIN  
Hi Mr.Fisher,

I am thinking about purchasing the above violin.Could you tell me if it is in fact a George Klotz.Thanks.

George Monaco"

Answer
Hi Mr. Monaco,

Thanks for your question.  I'm afraid it's not.  Although his violins were known for having a poor quality varnish, they were never this bad, and never with such a mis-matched coloring, front to back.  Furthermore, George Klotz died in 1737.  If this violin contains a label that gives the Klotz name and the date of 1900, it is most likely stating that this is a copy of a Klotz violin, made in the year 1900.

Best of luck with your purchase.

Jim Fisher

Violin

James S. Fisher