Violin/Caspar Sa Salo violin

eagle001@tpg.com.au wrote at 2013-02-20 04:42:10
Hi Jim,

John here again,   

Just to update you on my previous questions and this instrument.    Have taken it to my Lutherian.   He confirms your suspicion that this a Maggini design as he has recently completed building one himself.   He also confirms that if this was in fact a Trade produced instrument that it have been very finely made and has graded it as above intermediate.  He updated me on where it was made. According to this gentleman, who has been at the trade for many decades, the purfering on the Maggini can give away the country of manufacture.   Thing double purfering is generally indicative of German Made instruments,  thick from France and a middle of the road balanced double perfuming is indicative of Italian made.   I believe that there were Trade violins made in all three countries.    He puts this as being Italian made.   

Only thing that seems a little confusing is the label and the scroll.  The scroll is more like Da Saloís as it has the single twist.   The label indicated that it was a Caspar Da Salo and we have already spoken about the error in spelling with that.   So we have a body and overall neck size and shape of a Maggini, the scroll of a Da Salo and the purfering which imitates Da Salo and a Label that claims it is a Da Salo when we know itís a Maggini.   No there markings inside and a comprehensive investigation has been done there other than a K in blue pencil on the notch where the neck meets the top of the body.   Itís as if someone has taken out the plans for a Maggini and mistaken them for a Da Salo and have added the finishing touches of one master (The Bull) to his pupilís design.   Was this common?

Kindest Regards

John from down under.  

Violin

David Lashof