Violin/Giovanni Baptista Swietzer

Question
Top view of grafted neck
Top view of grafted ne  

Side view of grated neck
Side view of grated ne  
Hi David.  1st thank you with identifying my last violin. You have taught me a great deal in a short time.  It was a Caspar Da Salo but you identified it as a Maggini due to its dimentions.  Found an Luther here down under and he confirmed your suspicion.

I seem to have acquired another insrument (sufferring Violin Acquisition Syndrome ATM).   Its labeled:-
SWEITZER FECIT AT FORMAN
HEIRONYM AMATI PESTINI 1813

Now my research indicates that there were many copies made in pre WWII with similar labels.  I also found out that Switzer didn't open his own shop until 1825.   I would say this is one of the early pre-WWII jobs...But there are two unusual items ofinterest here.  1stly there seems to be a repair to the instrument and there is a second label which reads:-
REGROISOHDREN
GINSISY OF YINSERN FINISH 1893
I am assuming that this is a repair label from 1893.
2ndly this one has a grafted Neck.  From what you taught me last time this may be indicative of pre 1820.   

Do you have any thoughts on this.  I ahve included some photos.  Has a nice sound to it regardless.  I'm going to have to stop buying these.  Its getting to be an obsession. :-)

Kindest regards
John

Answer
John
Unless you misspelled the last name and used the wrong first name, I find no reference to any makers by the name you have given. There was of course a JOHANN BAPTIST SCHWEITZER and I think that is what you are referring to as the rest of the label would match. The photos are not nearly enough to distinguish between a real one and a copy. As for the graft, other reasons like breakage are reasons to graft a neck.  A graft is not a sure sign of an old instrument but rather not having a graft is a sure sign of a newer post 1820 instrument. I grafted one on a new instrument for someone that needed a thicker neck.  The other thing is that, and I can't get a clear enough view in the photo) with the copies and other inexpensive old factory instruments, the graft is often faked. A fine knife line is drawn and then some black is rubbed into the line during the varnishing period. They are usually not that hard to tell if you look closely and the grain of the wood is exactly the same on both sides of the line. They also often did not draw the line in on the inside of the peg box wall. The copies of Schweitzers abound and tend to be worth in the $500-1500 range. The copies are mostly 19th century so a repair label of 1893 also would work.

Violin

David Lashof