Violin/Purchasing violin

Question
French with crack
French with crack  

French Violin top
French Violin top  
I am planning to purchase a violin and have borrowed 3 from a store to try out.  The first one is a French violin with identifying information "Lutherie d'Art E. de Cristofaro - Paris"  There is no date stamp or number.  It has a crack in the side that was repaired (see attached image).  I was wondering what it's value is and if the crack will affect its resale value in the future should I decide to upgrade to a different violin.  The crack concerns me, but I am told it has no affect on the violin.

The second violin has identifying information "Joan. Udalricus Eberll fecit pragae 1743".  This one the sound box looks a little different than most violins.  It is slightly narrower but the area under the bridge bulges up higher than most violins.

The third violin has identifiying information "David Lashof No. 151 Facieb anno 1998".

Thanks for any help you can give on the values of these violins and how they compare with each other.

Karl

Answer
Hi Karl
Let me first apologize for the delay, I had my answer all written and my computer froze while trying to send it. So here we go again.

First off, I cannot obviously give you any opinion on sound and all of what I say is based on not seeing any of the instruments in person.

The Cristofaro is a French maker from around 1900.  They have auctioned in the $1000-2000 range making them generally retail in the $2000-4000 range.  That rib crack is really nasty and was extremely poorly repaired at least visually.  I cannot tell how it was repaired internally, but no good repair person would leave it that way.  The other thing that I can see from the pictures is that someone has overcoated or revarnished the ribs with some dark varnish where the plates meet the rib, this is not original and can hurt the value both now and in the future for resale.

The Eberle, as you noted has a narrow waist and high arch, this makes them sound great under the ear but they tend to not carry so much in a hall. They have auctioned from $2000-10,000 but typically they retail in the $5000-7000 range if in good condition.

Obviously I know the Lashof one well. I didn't make many after that one but they sold in the $8000 range. Again, I have no way to compare the sound of it against the others, so that is up to you.

Only you can decide what works best for you and your needs and the sound that you like. Old instruments sound the way they sound and that sound won't improve with time. You also have to deal with any repairs, good or bad that have been done. New instruments are obviously much more stable, but the sound may change in the first decade or so.  This is usually towards the best, they tend to mellow out and get more powerful with time. New instruments are harder to get values for, especially living makers. Instrument values and their appreciation are kind of like the stock market, there is no guarantee.  An instrument today could be worth more or less 10 years from now, there is no crystal ball.  

Violin

David Lashof